Sunday, December 7, 2008

Did I sleepwalk, or is it just a strange coincidence?

Last night I had a dream that I didn't think of much until about an hour ago. I dreamt that Cam and I were in the South. I think it was Atlanta, and we were staying at a friend's house. I don't know who they are, because we don't have friends in Atlanta. Anyway, they made us stay in their basement. We spent a couple of nights with no problems, then we discovered there were snakes in their basement. At first there were just a couple of small garden type snakes that we picked up and put out the window. We told the couple about them and they just said something like "yeah, welcome to the South, there are snakes everywhere." I didn't mind so much, because snakes don't bother me at all. (spiders on the other hand would have sent me running as far away as I could go).

After a couple of nights dealing with the small, cute snakes, a Black Mamba suddenly came out from under the stairs. Black Mambas are a very deadly snake. Then there were 3 Black Mambas. Cam and I were standing on the bed throwing things at them, then I grabbed a golf club and starting beating them. Cam found some hedge clippers and cut their heads off. Then we left the house and got a hotel room. Then the dream was over. No big deal, just a weird dream about me and Cam killing snakes.

When we woke up, Cam complained he didn't sleep very well because he kept dreaming about work. Cam hates work dreams. I told him I dreamt about me and him killing snakes, and we laughed.

So enough about the dream. In October Cam and I were at our friends Tonie and Anthony's for a barbecue. They have an 18 year old son named Josh who owns a few snakes. He was just about to acquire a couple of pythons that he was planning on breeding. He asked me and Cam if we could "foster" one of his snakes. It is about a 5 foot albino Burmese Python named Big Al. He needed to make some room for his 2 new snakes. All we had to do is provide a space for the snake and make sure he had water. Josh would come over every couple of weeks to feed him. We said that was fine. Josh brought Big Al over a couple of days later.

You probably know where this is heading. So all morning Cam and I have noticed a faint unpleasant smell in our house. We went through the fridge, nothing in there. We emptied the kitchen garbage, that wasn't it. We couldn't figure out what it was. Cam opened the guest room door, the room we keep Al in, and said "I found the smell". Big Al had died. We don't know what happened. I was in there yesterday around noon to make sure he had water, and he was alive and seemed fine! Josh was just here on Wednesday to feed him. He was fine! He wasn't interested in the rat, because his eyes were a bit cloudy, which means he was in the process of shedding. Snakes don't eat when they are shedding. Josh just told me to call him when Al was done shedding and he would bring over another rat.

So Big Al suddenly died sometime between about noon yesterday and 2pm today. And I just happened to have a dream last night that I was killing snakes. Weird!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is weird!! Hah.

Haley said...

That is way weird! I feel bad for that guy. I guess that is something you have to deal with when you have pets, unfortunately. Maybe the snake died of a motatoxi.

Haley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue said...

What is a motatoxi? I felt really bad for Josh too. He came over around 6pm and he was like "eh".

B said...

I vote that you either sleep walked or Big Al actually just shed his skin and is slithering around your house right now.

Sorry Sue, but I might not be able to sleep in a purple room with a Niel Young spider, a dead mexican, and a boa constrictor ghost.

Sue said...

Hahaha B! He is definitely not slithering around the house. One thing I did not mention in the post is that when we found him dead he was bloated like 3 times his size! It was really gross. I guess since his tank was heated at like 85 degrees, that progressed the decomposition process! You would have thought he had been dead for days when we found him.

Don't worry, we have completely sanatized that room, there is no snake slithering around the house. And the dead mexican is apparently only interested in me! The other night, Cam was in the living room and I was in the kitchen and I felt someone tug on my shirt! I'm blind in one eye, so it is kind of easy for someone to sneak up on me and do something like that, but Cam was still just sitting there on the couch. Who tugged on my shirt?