Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My newly painted kitchen!

After living in our house for almost exactly 2 years, we finally got around to painting the kitchen! Last year we did the guest room. Many of you probably remember the lovely Blue's Clues themed guest room. That room had to be done first, this year it was the kitchen's turn. I spent hours on the Lowe's website picking out colors. They have a really cool feature on their website. They have about 30 different kitchens, you pick the one that looks the most like yours, and you paint the walls online with the colors they offer. I have always wanted a yellow kitchen, then I decided I wanted one of the walls to be a different color of yellow, and I wanted the trim white. I spent more time working with the blue painter's tape, than I did actually painting. But, it's done and I am very happy with the outcome. Here are some pictures:

This was the first day. Cam and I spent that entire day cleaning and spackling and sanding the walls. Trisha helped of course.

A lovely example of my taping work. I think in this picture I've got the primer on the walls and the trim painted.

Here is the really yellow wall. It is my favorite wall.


This picture is a bit blurry, but this is a wall with the lighter yellow color.


The really yellow wall with my kitchen stuff moved back in.


The rest of the really yellow wall, you can see my new kitchen clock in this one. I love that clock!

An overview of the whole wall. You can probably tell this wall is my favorite. There are the jars of pickles I made yesterday!


A better picture of a wall with the other yellow color on it. For some reason, I just can't get a good picture of the other yellow color. I tried all sorts of features on my camera, and just couldn't get a good shot. But, you get the idea.
So, that's the new kitchen! It was a lot of work, but worth it. It is amazing what a difference a couple of coats of paint can make! I really want to do the living room and entrance way next, but I think it will be awhile before we can do that. Cam needs to be done with the St. George job, so we can knock it out in a few days. Cam was here for the wall prep day and primer day for the kitchen, then he had to go to St. George. So, I had to do the rest, and it took me forever!

10 comments:

Cat said...

Cute! Nice job, Sue.

B said...

I love it!! Especially the bright yellow wall!! When we come stay again, I'll just sleep in the kitchen, instead of the purple room.

Pops said...

Nice job, Sue and Cam and Trisha. Painting rooms is very satisfying and rewarding when it is all over. The prep work is the worst and longest. Mom and I have a little project in mind for our house but I keep putting it off. You inspired me, Sue to get with it soon. Thanks....

Emily said...

I love it Sue, very cool. I love the clock too, I haven't been by to see it yet. You know you have a brother in law that is the zippiest taper on the planet right? Seriously, he would be happy to come by and tape up your living room/entry. Perhaps in exchange for some babysitting services or an oil change?

Sue said...

Thanks everyone! Glad you all like it. It looks way better in person. I can't believe how much it brightens up the kitchen! And I love my kitchen clock so much! If you can't tell, those are forks and spoons around the face of the clock. The long hand is a knife and the short hand is a spoon. I love it!

Em, you have no idea how many times I thought of calling Rob to help me. But I was determined to do it myself. And now that I've done the kitchen myself, I'm totally over doing anything like that myself again.

I would never exchange babysitting services for help with the living room/entry. My babysitting services are free of charge! No if's, and's or but's about that. If that were the case than Catherine and Travis would have to come over and paint my entire house inside and out! hahaha! Just kidding kitty-cat. I think I've called Cat more about Booker spending time with me than she has called to ask me to babysit him. But, I could probably fanagle an oil change or something like that. Cam would probably much rather work on a car than help with painting. He's good at changing brakes too.

Emily said...

Ah, we just had our brakes done. Rob is driving a ton lately and requires lots of oil changes though. But, I wasn't really serious, he would do it for nothing, just thought it would be easier for you to take him up on it if there was some sort of exchange happening.
Rob and I got free movie tickets from our doctor for having to wait an hour to be seen for one of our appointments and I am now just waiting for a decent movie to hit the theaters.

Pops said...

You may have a long wait for a decent movie. It's been 6 weeks since mom and I have seen a theater movie. The last one was the Proposal with whats her name...Miss Congeniality....Sarah's gangledoppler....where am I going with this....I'll trade my 72 year old mind for your pregnant mind...got a 72 year old brain fart right now....s...! Oh, yeah, Sandra Bullock..

Sue said...

gangledoppler!! hahahahhaha! That is my new favorite word. You're the best dad. I have a feeling you did that one on purpose.

I hear Away We Go is really good. And I think Star Trek is still in the theaters. Inglorious Basterds is coming out next week I think. I can't wait for that one! Haven't had a Tarantino fix in a few years. The Hurt Locker is supposed to be really good too. That's out right now.

Pops said...

I really couldn't think of her name for a while there. I always thought Sarah looked like a young Sandra Bullock when Sarah was 8 to 11 or so. Thus, gangledoppler. A word just a few of us "in" people know about, huh, Sue. USA today doesn't come to Riverton anymore and I don't get my movie reviews and whats coming in the next little while like I used to read. I don't like much trying to find movie news on the internet. I have heard about Inglorious Basterds. Hope it gets to Riverton. If it is R rated I won't go to the theater and see it. Maybe wait for the DVD. That's a little hard for even me to understand, but that's the way I am.

Amy said...

Your kitchen looks great, Sue! I like yellow, too. Our bedroom is a shade of yellow and I love it. Painting is such hard work, but rewarding. Your clock is really cool.