Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Would someone please just kill me now?

So, my sister Emily, sent me a challenge on her blog. If I read the Harry Potter books, she will read the Lord of the Rings books. If you would like to read her challenge, and the comments that ensued, you should visit her blog http://www.emily-lifeinaglasshouse.blogspot.com/. She titled it "The Gauntlet". The comments get pretty silly, and oh, so nerdy.

She and I have teased each other over the years. She is a Harry Potter fan, and I really want nothing to do with it. I am a Lord of the Rings fan (cause they rock!), and she wants nothing to do with that. I watched the first Harry Potter movie on HBO quite a few years back and thought it was really quite lame. I read the LOTR books for the first time in 7th grade, and have read them 3 or 4 times since. I am the only one in my family, besides my brother Dave, who likes the books, or the movies! In fact, a movie rating thing went around myspace a couple of months ago and everyone in my family did it. They all rated The Return of the King with like 1 star, but they all rated Pretty Woman with like 5 stars! So they like fairy tales about whores, but a fairy tale about a magic ring? No way! I still have a hard time wrapping my brain around that one.

She also put the challenge out there to anyone who hasn't read one of the series, or either of them, to pick one and join a team. My Harry Potter team is called The Harry Pot Pot's and her LOTR team is The Fro Baggs. So, if anyone wants to join my team, please do. I could use all the support I could get. I thought I could just breeze through life without knowing anything about Harry Potter. But, if she is willing to read the LOTR books, then I have to read the Harry Potter ones. No matter how much I don't want to, I have to. And I found out there are 7 of them? Are you kidding me? I thought there were 3 or 4. What have I gotten myself into?

10 comments:

Emily said...

There has been a change. I dropped one of the fros and I am now simply, the Fro Baggs.

Sue isn't the only one suffering. I have enjoyed my animosity for the LOTR and never ever thought I would read them, I just don't think they are my bag heh heh, but I can handle reading these books if I get to see what Sue really thinks of Harry Potter. The playing field is a little askew since I simply just really enjoyed the Harry Potter books, while Sue lives and breaths TLOTR, so I don't know how that will play out.
I may loose a husband over this (I think I have already lost most of his respect) I shall forge on!
Bring it!

Anonymous said...

No fear Emily!! I have lost about 87% of my husbands respect. He thinks we're nuts. So we can be estranged together.

B

Emily said...

Sounds good B, we will crawl into our little nerd hole and never be loved again.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, isn't that what Gollum did? Crap...

B

Sue said...

HA HA! That is exactly what Gollum did. I can just picture you two sitting in a cave saying "precious" and coughing a lot and eating raw fishies.

My husband has lost no respect for me. He loves my nerdiness.

Emily said...

Hey B- we are already totally catching on to this LOTRs thing, without being any the wiser. Well, you seem to know more about what is going on then me. But I seem to be thinking like Gollum. I thought he called the ring his "precious" until I read about Gollum last night. That's what he calls himself, which is kind of cute to me, but I guess he is a horrible thing?

Anonymous said...

Nassssty little hobbitsessssss. Yeah, Gollum is kind of evil and creepy for the most part. I read that comic book a lot. Sue, Cam doesn't mind you because Cam is a little nerdy with you. I don't think I've ever met a guy who likes LHOTP.

B

Emily said...

Matt is nerdy! Just not "book" nerdy. Magic tricks, unicycles, and he watched "The Never Ending Story" like no ones business!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha!! I know, but he won't admit it. He's a total music/movie/weird little things that no one else is talented at nerd. But he gets really freaked out when I show my mainstream nerd background.

B

Sue said...

HAHA Matt's a nerd! I think he watched Never Ending Story 3 times a day for about 2 years!

Gollum is a lot more complex than you think at first. A lot of it is explained in Return of the King.