Monday, September 22, 2008

I loves me some Halloween!

Pretty much everyone who knows me knows I love Halloween. It's been my favorite holiday since I was a kid. My parents always did a good job decorating the house, a couple of years we even did a spook alley for the trick-or-treaters. Over the years I've built up a pretty decent collection of Halloween decorations. ( I have 3 big Rubbermaid storage things with Halloween stuff and 1 of Christmas stuff).

And, everyone who knows me knows how close I am to my nephew Booker (Catherine and Travis' boy). One of the things Booker and I share a love for is Halloween. This past weekend he stayed with me and Cam and helped us decorate the house. A bit early I know, but my next 3 weekends are pretty busy, and then it would just be too close! We had a lot of fun decorating. Here are some pictures:




This is Booker, pulling a face of course.




The first thing we did was make eyeball wreaths. Yes, my inner crafty person comes out during Halloween.




The 9 foot spiderweb. Booker untangled it on the living room floor while I was making dinner. Boo came in the kitchen when he was finished and a couple of minutes later we could hear my cat Pedro meowing a bit frantically. I went in the livingroom and Pedro had completely tangled herself in the web.



Just kind of a fun corner scene. Could use a little more work, but I like it.






I guess this could be called the cemetery scene. The statue of the woman is my favorite Halloween decoration I purchased last year. I would keep her in my living room year round, but people might think I'm weird or something.




This is what I call the cutesy stuff. Not my favorite Halloween stuff, but I love, love, love the witch hats. You put tea lights in them and they look so cool! The haunted house was mine and Booker's crafty Halloween project a couple of years ago. He made one too.





Just a view of the whole livingroom, except the cemetery scene. That is to the right on top of the bookshelf.




New to the house this year, the bat cave! This is my front entrance way. How many bats did I cut out? I don't know, I lost count around 200. There are flying bats and hanging bats. I got smart after the first couple of sheets of bats I cut out, and put 4 sheets together. My hand still hurts from all the cutting. The good news is, I won't have to cut them out next year. The bat cave turned out better than I pictured it. Cam had the brilliant idea of putting green lightbulbs in the light fixture.






This is one of my favorite Halloween decorations. It is the perfect way to make use of that odd banister thing in my stairway. I remember the first time I went through the house with Rob, our real estate agent and brother-in-law, I pointed it out to him and told him I could do great things with that for Halloween. And yes, those are rats I hot glued to him.







If you look at the bat cave picture you can see some glass candle holders on the coat rack. Well, I decided candles would be boring. So I filled one of them with rats, one with eyeballs and one with little skulls. I have two empty ones, I'm thinking one will be spiders and one severred fingers, or a brain or something. I'll have to look around. I took the close up of the skulls because they are my favorite purchase of this year. I found a bag of them for like 2 bucks. I bought 2 of them, but only needed one bag. I let Booker have the other one. He was very happy about that.


So that is it so far. We still have the scarecrow that Cam made for the garden. I have to use that somehow! Since the scarecrow is in 2 parts, I'm thinking of maybe putting the torso in the guest room looking out the window. Then I could do something separate with the legs. Maybe hanging outside the window? Cam and I will think of something. Or if anyone has any ideas let me know!


24 comments:

Emily said...

I love it!!! I just bought Scout some gay window clings this year. I do have a few other things in my one, half-full rubbermaid container, including a ceramic skeleton I absolutely LOVE. I have got to get Scout over there to come see it all before October is up. She takes after Aunt Sue in her love of Halloween (its mom's favorite too). I think we all know she is a skeleton freak. Skedatins!

Graciesmom said...

I love your decorations! I'm with you about Halloween. I love to decorate for that holiday.
Cute nephew

Sue said...

Yes, Scout must come see the house. I'm so glad she loves Halloween too! What is she going to be this year? We are having a Halloween party this year. Halloween is on a Friday! You guys should stop by.

Maybe next year Scout could spend the weekend with me and Booker and help decorate.

Haley said...

Man, I feel like the odd ball. Halloween has never been my favorite. Everyone else loves it but I am just ok with it. I blame it on Matt for scaring me to death when I was a kid. Haha. That is such a cute idea for Booker to come do that with you, I bet he had a blast! I love your decorations, despite my non-love of Halloween. I must say that the bat cave is my favorite.

Sue said...

Your non-love for Halloween must be a Phister thing, cause the Wrights love it! Did Matt scare you to death often, or is there one particular time you are referring to? Yes, Booker had a blast helping me decorate and eating ice cream bars.

Emily said...

Scout would love to do that! I forgot to say, but I can't believe you cut out all those bats!!
I work Sat night too, so afternoon would be fine, or next week would work too I'm sure. Is one or the other better for you?

Sue said...

You have no idea how sick I got of cutting out bats! I didn't know I was going to to so nuts with them. But I thought, when do you ever see just a few bats? They seem to always be in huge swarms.

Saturday afternoon would work. I've got Bunko at 5pm. All the husbands are hanging out at my house that night, so I'll just be home cleaning and stuff.

You may encounter one problem though. X96's Big Ass Show is Saturday at Usana. The streets around my house get pretty crazy on concert nights. It starts at 11:30am and goes until 8pm. You would definitely want to plan the visit accordingly.

The next weekend wouldn't work very good for me. I'm going to Wendover Friday night with the girls. They are all going to the REO Speedwagon (guffaw!). I'm going just to go, probably read Harry Potter in the hotel room while they are at the concert.

Emily said...

Like after the concert starts OR like an hour before?

You are going to miss out on REO Speedwagon? Whaaaaaa????? You need to introduce your friends to some more recent music. With musicains that don't wear their hair in mullets.

Baby I can't fight this feelin' anymore!

Sue said...

Do you think I haven't tried introducing them to new and/or good music? They seriously want nothing to do with it. They are seriously excited for this concert. I don't have the heart to tell them that maybe the drummer is the original REO member.

I have one friend who thinks Tesla is the greatest band that ever lived. I am NOT looking forward to the Wendover drive and back. Did you ever see the informercial for the CD collection called Monster Ballads? It is like a 6 CD collection of all those 80 bands ballads "Every Rose has it's Thorn" etc. Well, Missy has it! And she is driving and will play it the whole time! She is even the type that will make you be quiet during certain songs and have you focus on the lyrics. AUGHAUGHAUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhoo, I would probably say around 1 or 2 would be the best time to come. I think the roads will be pretty bad from about 10:30 to noon.

Heard it from a friend who.........

Emily said...

Haha, that just gave Rob and I some excellent laughs. I totally remember Monster Ballads and laughing at who would buy that. I am sorry about your impending car ride. I would not look forward to that either. I think I would probably stop laughing and start pulling my hair out at about the 2nd song (Is this Love? or To Be With You)

*shiver*

I don't know what Telsa is, but something tells me it's bad.

We will be coming on Sat around 1 or 2, Scout's favorite activity tonight was looking at the pictures of your house. She would cover her eyes and make me scroll to a new picture and tell me to tell her to count to 10, then she would, uncover her eyes and sigh in delight.

your a candle in the window, on a cold dark winters night........

Sue said...

Tesla: Signs, signs everywhere there's signs. (worst song ever! and that one is there best one!)

Scout covering her eyes until you scroll to another picture is the cutest thing ever! And she's Booker today! I can't wait until Saturday and she gets to see it in person.

But I know the neighborhood and talk is cheap when the story is good.

Annalyn said...

That's awesome! I can't say that I'm into Halloween very much. I have skeleton's in my closet - does that count? haha!
Scott, on the other hand, LOVES Halloween. I'll show him these pics. But even as a non-Halloween gal, I have to tip my hat to you. It is amazing what you have done!! The bat room is by far my fav thing. That is so cool!!

For the scarecrow, I wonder if it would look good to have it appear as if the window severed the body - like part of it is outside and part of it is inside. Just a thought.

Sue said...

Thanks Annalyn! The severed scarecrow is exactly what I was thinking. The torso inside the room looking out the window, then I'm sure Cam could somehow hang the legs outside the window. I think that is exactly what I'm going to do!

Emily said...

Just don't dress the scarecrow up as MJ-- unless you want to defer all trick or treaters and get a visit from social services.

Sign sign everywhere a sign. Holy Crap! That song really sticks it to "the man", come on! I honestly didn't know that music still had fans. That's so funny.

Sue said...

That would be funny to dress up the scarecrow as MJ, but you're right, don't want to deal with social service people.

Yes, Tesla has a fan base on the west side! Here is the best lyric where Tesla really sticks it to the man:

And the sign says "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
So I put my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said you look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do
So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that, huh, me working for you"

Gives me goosebumps. Wait, no, I mean I need to go vomit now.

Emily said...

Haha, I remember that line. 'Freaky people' I like how he added that. Funny stuff. At rcc we let the long haired freaky people work in the kitchen. We hire them, we just keep them hidden.

Emily said...

I have one more thing to say on the subject. That song "To be With You" is crazy!
"Waited in a line of something soemething,
Just to be the next to be with you."

Essentially, it seems he is saying, I have been waiting in this -what we can only imagine is a myriad of short lived boyfriends- "line", JUST to be the next (nothing special huh?) to be with you.
Is she supposed to be flattered or sock him in the face?
The sort of chick I can only imagine he must be singing to would be flattered I guess.

Anonymous said...

Hehe, have fun on that car ride. I love the bat cave.

B

Sue said...

Em, I don't know the song you're talking about. To Be With You? Who is that by?

Emily said...

There is a treat waiting for you on your myspace comments.

Matt Wright said...

I am totally a Wright, and I LOVE halloween. When else can you get away with being a total freak? It's genius.
I didn't know Booker liked it so much, I should have guessed that though. I guess since Haley didn't answer your question Sue, I can. I scared them any chance I could, not just once. I went a little too far sometimes though. ha ha. She would remember some specifics, I still find myself apologizing for things I did to those girls. Kyle is a much better sport though, he loves it when I scare him!
The Bat Cave is amazing, I love how you have the hanging ones all grouped together like that, it's really gross and erie. Very creative.
B isn't a huge fan of Halloween, (shocker I'm sure)
so I doubt our house will ever look like that. If you ever do another spook ally... I am so there! Finding weird and different ways of scaring people and getting inside their heads is one of my favorite past times!

Matt Wright said...

Oh, and you need to see our wedding pictures, every one that booker is in, he looks like sloth on Seven. Ok...not that bad, but he is pulling crazy faces.

Sue said...

I'll have to look at the wedding photos. Booker always pulls faces in pictures. So next trip to WY it's puppets and wedding pictures!

I think it's funny you still apologize to the girls for scaring them. Remember when you scared me, Booker, Annie and Kyle while we were watching "Watcher in the Woods?" That totally freaked me out!

It's funny you mentioned how much you like to scare people. On the radio the other day they were talking to a couple of guys that work at one of the haunted houses here. And the guys were saying they really needed people over 6 feet to come work for them. I instantly thought of you. I thought you'd have a lot of fun spending your evenings at a haunted house scaring the crap out of people.

Sue said...

Oh yeah, I'm glad you like the bat cave Matt! I really like it too. When I had the house decorated last year I kept looking at that empty space knowing something needed to go there! Then a couple of months ago I was watching Batman Begins and there is that scene where Bruce is in the cave and all those bats are flying around him, I was totally inspired. I knew right then my entrancway had to be a bat cave.