Monday, September 15, 2008

Infinite Loss

I am sorry if this turns out to be the most boring blog post you have ever read, but I have to do this for myself.

I got to work at 7 am this morning. At about 7:15, I went online to look at a map of Texas (work related, I like maps, but would never just look at a map of Texas!). My homepage at work is a news website. I usually glance quickly at the headlines before going to a different website. This morning, my eye caught a headline that made my heart sink. "Infinite Jest author apparent suicide". I closed my eyes and tried to figure out how that headline could mean something else. Like maybe the author found someone who had committed suicide and they were just quoting him or something. But I knew that wasn't the case. I took a deep breath, and clicked on the article. David Foster Wallace had hung himself Friday night (Sept 12), and was found by his wife, Karen. I didn't read any more than that. Why should I? That first couple of sentences is all that mattered. I don't need to read what that journalist, who had probably never read one of his books, had to say about DFW and his writings. I immediately got out my cell phone and sent my sister Catherine this text message: "call me when you get this." She called me about 45 minutes later.

I'm guessing that all of you, besides Emily, who read my blog have no idea who David Foster Wallace is (all of you that I'm aware of that is). If you've ever caught Cat and I in a conversation where we are laughing really hard, and we tell you that we can't explain what is so funny because it is too hard to explain. I would bet that at least 85% of the time we were discussing something David Foster Wallace had written, or one of his characters etc. My boss was in the office this morning, and she heard my gasp when I saw the headline. She asked me what was wrong, and I told her my favorite contemporary author had died over the weekend. She had never heard of him and asked me what kind of books he writes. Never in my life have I had such a difficult time trying to describe not only a writer's style, but his subjects as well! I had to give up. DFW was truly one of a kind.

I was introduced to DFW Christmas of 1996. Someone, who never let me down when it came to book recommendations, gave me Infinite Jest for Christmas (it was my ex bro-in-law Steve). It was by an author I had never heard of, the book is over 1,000 pages, and it is written in a very small font, I'm guessing size 8, possibly 10. I knew that if it was that long of a book, written in that small of a font, given to me by Steve, then it must be mind-blowing. Well, it took me about a year and about 7 tries to get past the first 50 pages or so, but when I finally read the book cover to cover, my mind was indeed blown. I had never read anything like it. It's fiction with footnotes! Some of the footnotes go on for pages and pages. His style, subject, vocabulary and characters are amazing. I won't get into a review of his stuff, I'll leave that for the experts. But, I must say his love of acronyms, his vocabulary, the nicknames he gives his characters, the way he can link a character you read about on page 80 to a character you read on page 768, his humor, his way of noticing strange things about people, his characters, okay, I could go on and on. He is a genius.

When I finished Infinite Jest I wanted so much to talk about it with someone, so I recommended it to Catherine. I don't know what I said to recommend it. It was probably something like "don't try to figure it out while you're reading it, let the book be what it is, read the footnotes. Just trust me". I have to say, I've never been more satisfied at recommending a book, than I am at Cat's reaction. She has since read pretty much everything he has ever written. I've read almost all of his books, but she has read his personal essays, contributions to magazines, etc. I've read some of those other things he wrote, but I believe Cat has read much more than I. Catherine has actually read Infinite Jest 4 or 5 times, I read it just once, 12 years ago. In fact, Cat is in the middle of that book right now, but put it aside to read Breaking Dawn, then is planning on finishing Infinite Jest.

I emailed Cat today and told her I was going to blog about this. I asked her to email me back her testimonial on why she loves DFW so much. Here are some of the things she said:

I love his "voice". In Infinite Jest, he takes on so many characters, that book astounds me in it's genius. His sense of humor really speaks to me. In both his fiction and his essays/journalistic things. I can't tell you how many terms and DFW-isms I use in my language.

I then asked her what terms and isms she uses, and she said:

The howlers definitely, or the Howling Fantods. "out of somewhere that's blue" instead of "out of the blue". "heat and kitchens"- a shortened way to remind someone if they can't stand the heat.... "the straw that was the camel's spinal demise"-his way of saying the straw that broke the came's back. He has this way of subtly distorting cliches that I found hilarious.

Since she has read his stuff so much and so recently, she was also able to give me some DFW vocabulary and nicknames that are hilarious:

The Moms-what the boys in Infinite Jest call their mom
Bob Hope- marijuana
Ass-over-teakettle-his way to describe someone falling
Tear-assing-someone running really fast
Eating cheese-someone ratting someone out
Sir Osis of Thuliver-the most gallant of diseases
Sphincter-looseningly scary-something really scary

(Sue now talking) And there are hundreds more like them. David Foster Wallace is just one of those writers that sticks with you. I was just thinking of him last night! I didn't know he had died at the time, but I was piercing potatoes with a fork so they wouldn't explode in the oven. In the last 12 years, since I read Infinite Jest, I haven't pierced a potato without thinking of DFW. I also thought of him sometime last week. I was in my office reading the second Harry Potter book, and glanced at my bookshelf. I saw "The Girl with Curious Hair", and thought to myself, I should read a couple of stories out of that book as a pallet cleanser before I start the next Harry Potter (sorry Em!).


I will miss you dearly David Foster Wallace! I choked up a lot at work today, tears kept welling up in my eyes. I'm going to re-read Infinite Jest and everything else, when I'm done with Harry Potter. It saddens me to think of what we are going to miss from your brilliant mind. And I am so, so thankful that some writings of yours exist for us to read. I will always be grateful to whomever that first publisher was that read your stuff and decided the public needs to read it. I will leave you with the last email Cat sent me on her thoughts of his death, and I quote:

" Suck. Lame. Bunk. Sauce. Face."




David Foster Wallace 1962-2008

13 comments:

Emily said...

This really is a big loss. I have yet to read Infinite Jest, but was reminded about my need to read it a few weeks ago when we got together at the park and listed it as next, after the LOTR (look at me! I'm cool). Now, I may put it off as I hate it when people get all into an author or musican right after they die. (Case in point, Nirvana albums sold millions of copies right after Kurt killed himself.) That kind of thing bothers me for some reason. I have read of few of Wallace's books and really enjoyed them, it has just been a few years. I know how much you and Cat love him and so I am really sorry for you guys. It really sucks! He was a mind-boggling genius. I love the art of messing up cliche sayings and I love to do it, and I think most of the time people think I am just an idiot. Eh.

PS, so that bad huh Sue? Did you mean Girl With Curious Hair as a palate cleanser with the true sense of the act (to experience something different to prepare yourself for the next course) or I have to get this bad taste out of my mouth!!??
I loved Westward the Course of Empire...Something. Also the one about Lydon Johnson was pretty funny.

Sue said...

Em, thank you for your kind words and understanding on how much me and Cat love David Foster Wallace. And how much we are mourning his death. I forgot that we were just talking about him a few weeks ago at the park! Don't worry about looking like one of those people who only read their stuff because they died and suddenly everyone is interested and talking about them. I totally understand your hang-ups about that, I have that kind of hang-up too about things.

You've read a couple of his books. So you're not totally in the dark. You need to read Infinite Jest. Not only because Cat and I love it so much, but because it deserves to be read!

And I didn't mean that the Harry Potter books were that bad. I think it is just that I was reading something written for kids! I don't have the love for children's literature that you have. When I take the HP books for what they are, they are fine. But, sometimes I glance at my bookcase and wish I was reading something more adult!

Haley said...

Sorry Sue and Cath, that stinks. Isn't it crazy how you mourn people you have never met? I have done that, it is just weird to think that yesterday they were alive and now they aren't. I bet you feel like you knew him though.

Sue said...

Thanks Haley. I really do feel like I knew him personally. When you read his books, you know what he is writing is coming straight from his brain. He is not just a story teller, he really put a lot of himself into his writing. He was also a college professor, I bet it's been a very sad couple of days on campus.

Emily said...

I have decided that just because David Foster Wallace wasn't quite on my radar as he is with you and Cath, that doesn't mean I wasn't a fan. I seem to think of myself as more in the dark since I hadn't read Infinite Jest yet. So, considering all that, I shall go on with my plans and read Infinite Jest after LOTRs. It is silly to change my plans JUST because he died. So, book on!
By the way, I totally understand about what you were saying. I was just ribbing you specifically because you wrote "(sorry Em!)" otherwise, offense would never had occurred to me. I also understand about children's literature. Yes, I have a love for it, but I don't read it very often. Also, after the first 4 books, I read the last 3 over a 7 year time period. (not that I wouldn't have read them all at once, had they been out, but I digress.) I digress a lot.

ALSO, you and Cat forgot "lick".

Sue said...

That is what I was trying to say in my comment to you Em. Consider yourself a fan! You've read some of his stuff, so don't feel like you're just reading his stuff because he is suddenly dead.

I have a question. I added that picture of him, and suddenly all my previous blogs are in huge font. I can't figure out how to fix that. Do you know what I can do?

Emily said...

That is odd Sue, The type is the same size it has always been from my vantage, but there is no longer any of your stuff on the right. No archive, no playlist, nothing. Did that disappear too?

Annalyn said...

Sorry about this loss. I only know the name - perhaps from hearing you talk about him. Somehow these things seem infinitely more tragic to me when it's something like suicide instead of a natural death. You've inspired me to read his books. At least his legacy can live on!

Sue said...

Annalyn-You probably did hear me talk about him. Probably with Shawn or something. You should start with Broom of the System or Girl with the Curious Hair. And yes, it is more tragic when it is a suicide. A good friend of mine committed suicide in 2000, it is a different kind of grief you feel.

Em-I'm at my work computer and the font is huge here too! I scrolled down and my playlist and archive are at the very bottom. The playlist is tiny! I don't understand what happened. I only added a picture to the one post! When I go in to edit the other posts, it doesn't give you the option to change the font size, unless it does and I just don't see it. I'm going to mess around with it today. Perhaps if I change the template or something I can fix it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, you guys. Especially Sue for the nice tribute thingy. And that's my favorite picture of him. I posted a short 8 minute interview with Terry Gross that's pretty good if you care to listen. The link is in my favorite books section of my profile. Past few days have been pretty tough for me and I appreciate all the family support I've received. Em, your not jumping on the dead artist bandwagon if you read Infinite Jest after LOTR. Totally different.

Sue said...

I love that picture too Cat. I picked that one because it was on the back of Infinite Jest, my first exposure to him. I remember I would keep looking at the picture and think "he wrote this?". He looked like someone I hang out with. (not anyone in particular, just the type of person I hang out with).

Emily said...

There. Now, when I click "comments" John isn't interrupted.

I was going to make you a follower of some blogs you comment on (like mine) but didn't. Can if you'd like. You can change your password if you don't trust me and feel like you are going to log into your blog and find Harry Potter wallpaper someday. Heh heh.

Anonymous said...

I'm also sorry for everyones loss. I haven't had more than a few seconds lately to read these blogs, but Matt told me about Cat and the day she had, and I am really really sorry that such a good part of your life is gone. I'm intrigued by the vocab list you wrote, and am wondering if I'd like it, or if it would scar me. Also, I'm nowhere near as analytically smart as any of the Wright siblings. And I promise it wouldn't be just because he died, and I'd finish LOTR first.

Big hugs

B.